General conditions for mining and exploration
The conditions impose obligations on the holder to ensure effective regulation of the activity. Matters they may relate to include but are not limited to, the development and conduct of exploration and mining operations, environmental management, protection and rehabilitation, compliance with codes of practice, ensuring public safety, security deposit, and community relations.
General and special conditions are imposed on grants and are usually updated at renewal, transfer and part transfer. General and special conditions may also be varied at other times if required (either on application by the holder or on the initiative of the decision-maker).
A breach of a general or special condition is an offence under the Mining Act and Petroleum (Onshore) Act and penalties apply.
The following are the current general conditions and special conditions that may be imposed:
- EL Minerals - General conditions (2015 version 4.0, last updated 2/2/2022) (PDF, 151.12 KB)
- EL Coal - General conditions (2015 version 4.0, last updated 8/2/2022) (PDF, 157.06 KB)
- EL Low impact General conditions - Minerals (2015 version 3.0, last updated 8/2/2022) (PDF, 190.79 KB)
- AL Minerals - General conditions (2015 version 3.0, last updated 8/2/2022) (PDF, 162.12 KB)
- AL Coal - General conditions (2015 version 2.8, last updated 8/2/2022) (PDF, 160.53 KB)
- ML Coal/minerals - General conditions (2021 version 1.1 last updated 2/7/2022) (PDF, 143.99 KB)
- ML Ancillary mining activities - General conditions (2021 version 1.2 , last updated 2/7/2022) (PDF, 104.19 KB)
Conditions on opal prospecting licence (OPL) are available here.
Mining leases granted under the Mining Act are also subject to prescribed standard conditions in the Schedule 8A of the Mining Regulation 2016. Information on the standard rehabilitation conditions on mining leases is available here.
If you have any questions about conditions please contact Assessments and Systems for assistance.